Monday, March 20, 2006

Lemon Meringue Pie!

Today's Reward:



(well, not really "today's"... I made the pie on Friday... it's long gone by now.)

I have got to be the most unusual housekeeper I know. My working areas (which is to say all visible areas of the house) look like a completely disordered wreck:



Three or four projects at once on any given surface, nothing put away or completed... everything a shambles.

And yet, if you look into my drawers, more often than not what you'll find will be something like this:




Everything in its place. A place for everything. Organized by type, size, alphabet...
If all you saw were my drawers, you'd think I was an anal-retentive, OCD control freak.
But more likely you'll see my working and living areas. From which you'd think I was ADD, neurotic, undisciplined...

The truth should be found somewhere in the mid-ground.

I like order and organization, yet I haven't figured out how to keep things organized while I am working with them. I think I'll get back to them soon, so I don't put them away when I take a break, and then next thing you know it's 4 days and 10 projects later.

I've said before that it is rumored that I cannot leave even a single dish clean when I cook.
Here's another example of why:



Somehow the sauce I'm making (it's not for the pie, it's for the chicken-pot-pies I made the same evening--sadly I forgot to take pictures of them) won't stay in the sautee pan. It leaps out onto my stove when I'm not looking.

The salt jumped off the pantry shelf when I opened the pantry door, and spilled all over the floor.

The sugar spills over the measuring cup.

I spend more time cleaning up than I do cooking!

But I do love to cook, and this past couple of weeks I've actually kept the kitchen clean enough every evening to really do some cooking! My reward: chicken pot pies, sugar cookies, lemon meringue pie! :)

How long did the pie last, you ask? 15 hours. That's all. 15 hours. Bethieee and I ate half the pie between us the night it was baked. Yum! My brother and his girl came over the next day and between the four of us we polished off the remains. (Keithr does not care for lemon. silly boy!)



I got a picture of the pie in all its lovliness halfway through its decimation. In the background you can see Bethieee's fingers reaching for the other treat of the week: the fabulous cookies that Mia sent! ..gone within 48 hours of opening the box. Gone, but not forgotten. Oh no... those were GOOD cookies! (they always are... Mia sends fabulous treats!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Bethieee said...

Oh, my god the oven's filthy...

One of the other benefits of keeping this blog is periodically the housemates have their eyes manually opened to the true state of things and run in a panic downstairs to clean the oven.

Well, no running (the stairs are trecherous) and I'll be telling the oven to clean itself (self-cleaning oven)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Celestial Freak said...

My kitchen is much worst. So much worst I'm very hesitant to post pictures! LOL! I have arthritis so standing for long hurts and things tend to pile up. I hate it, but there is only so much I can do.

Add to that I had a kitchen fire the day after Christmas! AND I STILL NEED TO REPAINT!

Ah, anyway, I'm trying to slow down my swapping and work more on the house, now that it's spring I'm starting to feel better enough to get some things done.

The pie looks yummy.

The book covered in teal, is that the Joy of cooking? I have my hubby's grandma's copy and she had covered it in the same teal contact paper. I have the two red ribbons in it as well. I don't know if that the book in your picture, but it kind of went along in my head since you had it near a pie.

Well, I came across your blog from you fiber blog, from swap-bot.... just to let you know where I'm visiting from.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home